Kadai Paneer Recipe | How to Make Kadai Paneer
- 250 g Paneer (Cottage Cheese), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tbsp Dry Coriander Seeds
- 2 Dry Red Kashmiri Chillies
- 1 Green Cardamom
- 2 Medium size Capsicums (chopped into 1-inch pieces)
- 3 Medium size Tomatoes (finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp Ginger-Garlic Paste
- 1/2 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 2 tbsp Tomato Puree (optional)
- 3 tsp Dry Fenugreek Leaves (kasuri methi)
- 2 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 2 tbsp Fresh Cream (optional)
- 1/3 cup Water
- Salt (as taste)
- First roast 5 teaspoon coriander seeds and 4 to 5 dry Kashmiri red chilies in a pan on a low flame till aromatic.
- When the spices cool, grind both of them in a grinder to a semi-fine or fine powder. Avoid keeping the powder coarse as then the gravy has grits and the masala comes in the mouth while eating.
- In a pan heat 2 to 3 tablespoon butter or oil or ghee (clarified butter). Then add the ginger garlic paste (1.5 inch ginger, chopped + 7 to 8 medium sized chopped garlic, crushed in a mortar-pestle to a fine paste). Saute till their raw aroma disappears.
- Add the freshly ground coriander and Kashmiri red chili powder. Also add 1 to 2 chopped green chillies.
- Add 2 medium finely chopped tomatoes. Saute till the tomatoes soften and become pulpy. You will also see oil releasing from the sides of the onion-tomato masala. Then only add the tomato puree (5 medium tomatoes, pureed in a blender).
- Stir well and continue to saute till you see oil leaving the sides. About 9 to 10 mins on a low to medium-low flame.
- Add 1 small to medium sized capsicum (green bell pepper) julienne. Stir and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes on a low to medium flame.
- Add ½ to ¾ cup of water and salt (as required). Continue to simmer for some 7 to 8 minutes. Once the gravy is done, you will some oil specks on the top.
- Then add ½ tablespoon crushed kasuri methi (dry fenugreek leaves) and ¾ to 1 teaspoon garam masala powder. Stir the gravy.
- Then add 250 to 300 grams paneer cubes or slices. Stir gently.simmer till the paneer is cooked, for about 1 to 2 minutes. Don’t overcook the paneer as then it will become hard and you won’t get the desired texture in the paneer. Once the paneer is cooked, then you can also add 2 tablespoons cream. Just gently mix the cream in the gravy.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.